Sector Wise prioritized Development needs of District of Batticaloa.
1. PRODUCTION DEVELOPMENT
- Construction/renovation of rice mills and rice floor factories etc to value added the paddy production because major portion of paddy purchased without any processing therefore those need to be value added.
- Land leveling, soil & water conservation practices to increase average paddy production per hectare because paddy production per hectare is less compare to other Districts.
- Construction of seed paddy processing Center.
- Improvement of regional agriculture research Center at Karadiyanaru
- Productivity improvement of crops
Productivity of crops should be improved to increase yield and income. Introduction of new technologies and improved cultivation practices increase average yield.
- Quality improvement for export crops
- Introduce and promote flood, drought & salt resistant varieties in maha season.
- Expansion of extend of cashew, palmyra & coconut cultivation.
- Improvement of coconut development board, Maylampaveli.
- OFC expansion
Farmers can get stable income and increase profit margin by increasing the cultivated extent. Resource can be better utilized.
- Agro based cottage industry and value addition.
Value addition of primary products will increase income.
- Agro wells
- Minor tank based OFC cultivation in Yala
- Establishment of Fruit Orchard and private nursery
- Promotion of organic cultivation practices
- Improve service delivery system
- Constructions of factories to value add the fresh milk (sterilized milk, yoghurt, curd & milk bottle etc) because major portion of milk purchased as draw milk from farmers.
- Construction of milk chilling & collection center at interior part of the District to avoid the contamination of milk.
- Construction of chicken hatchery to meet the District demand and cut off the production cost.
- Construction of animal feeds production center to meet the District demand and cut off the production cost.
- Construction of artificial insemination center to improve the livestock sector.
- Declaration and establishment of pasture land to manage the livestock.
- Promote community cattle shed management programme to get the maximum yield and avoid the contamination of milk.
- Increasing livestock production
- Enhancing the existing production systems and establishing novel production structures.
- Establishment of new production systems
- Increasing Productivity through value addition
- Introduction of prolific breeds in to local herds
- Product quality enrichment
- By product processing
- Establishment of appropriate waste handling units along with the livestock production systems will increase the productivity by facilitating efficient utilization of waste animal particles in to useful by products.
- Value chain enhancement
- Enhancing the existing production systems and establishing novel production structures.
- Prevention of Illegal fishing
- Establish fingerling hatchery to maintain the fishing stocks in tanks.
- Post-harvest techniques and value addition
- Fish processing units
- Local market consumption
- Landing sites
- Multi-day boats, diving, GPS
- Ice production factories
- Sustainable Inland Fishing
- Irrigation scheme improvement
- Rehabilitation of salt water intrusion bund
- Amalgamation of Kithul & Rugam tank
- Farmer training to maintain tanks and channels
- Rehabilitation of abandoned minor irrigation tanks
- Removal of flood obstacles available in irrigation schemes
- De-siltation of tanks to increase the water holding capacity
- Establishment of Multiple Marine fin fish Hatchery
- Establishment of cluster shrimp farming infrastructure Development
- Introducing Marine fin fish and Shrimp Post Larvae in Upparu Lagoon Annually
- Development of community based cluster farms
- Development of model Recycling Aquaculture System
- Development of common eco-friendly aquaculture structures for cluster farms.
2. INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
- Upgrading of,
- 280.5 km agriculture roads.
- 606 km rural roads
- 247 km C& D class roads
- 38 km B class roads
- 14 km A class roads
- Reconstruction of 15 numbers of rural bridges
- Provide 8447 numbers of houses to the most vulnerable communities in Batticaloa District. These families’ houses were destroyed by civil conflict. This total numbers of prioritized housing needs were categorized further according the different types of vulnerability.
No of Damaged by Civil Conflict
No of War Widows
No of Orphans
No of Disables
No of indigenous Families
No of Poorest Families
No of Resettled Indian Returnees
No of Resettled Vanni Returnees
2.3 Water & Sanitation
- Rural water supply scheme to the rural areas in the District where needs.
- Extent the pipe water supply to some villages and other divisions.
- Provisions of electricity connections to the 30% of families living without electricity connections, here these families are don’t have capital to get the connections from the supply line because they are under poverty line.
2.5 Urban Development
- The UDA currently have 37 proposed projects in the pipeline and a business plan for 5 other tourist related projects that they are hoping will attract private investors.
3. HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Infrastructure development for quality education
- Improvement of infrastructure, learning and teaching equipments at 06 numbers of National schools.
- Health and nutrition programme
- Livelihood programme for parents
- Establishment of gramodaya health centre with maternal & child care units to expand
the health services to resettled area.
- Implement the master plan of Teaching hospital
- Provision of necessary medical equipments to improve of health centres services
- Strengthening and establishment of specialized health care services at Base Hospital
Valaichenai , BHaluwanchikudy and BH kattankudy
- Improvement/construction of infrastructure facilities of hospitals and MOH office.
- Improvement of health care services at village level
- Construction of sanitation facilities because 43 % of household are struggling to access the improved sanitation facilities within premises.
- Establish water sources because 47 % of household are struggling to access improved water source within 250m travelling distance
- Information system
- Establishing partnerships with development partners and private sector
- Psycho-social counselling
- Assistance for differently able people and elders.
- Counselling and awareness for family members and community
- Sports and cultural activities for the differently able persons
- Establish different types of standard play grounds
- Coaching programme
- Sports clubs development
4. INDUSTRIAL & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
4.1 Industrial & Business Development
- Development of recourse based industries. (Establish factory to utilize the locally available draw materials (coconut, Palmyra, garments, clay brick & reed grass etc).
- Enhancing vocational skills
- Promote market linkages and networks.
- Development of infrastructure facilities
- Strengthening the District Structure for Tourism Development of Batticaloa District
- Improving the Access to the Batticaloa District as well as intra access within the District
- Development of the Supportive Infrastructure
- Human Resource Development
- Tourist Attractions Development
Keeping the tourist stay for more nights is equally importance as attracting tourists. More night stays need more activities to enjoy for the tourists. Tourists attractions, activities to involve the tourists and information about these have to be developed in Batticaloa District
The Batticaloa District is endowed with a wide variety of natural, socio-cultural and manmade attractions for both foreign and domestic tourists.
- National parks
- Nature reserves
- Heritage sites
- Religious places(Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and Christian)
- Bird watching
- Lagoon rides
- Handicrafts (Souvenirs)
- Establish handicraft centres in Tourist locations.
- Establishment of recreational parks
5. ENVIRONMENT AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
5.1 Disaster Management
- Construction of flood mitigation structures to prevent the entry of lagoon and river water inside the residential and agriculture area.
- Develop master plan for drainage system to control the storm water in urban and rural areas.
- Construction of drainage system to all already constructed conconcrete roads. And construction of concrete roads with drainage system in future.
- Construction of rainwater & runoff water tanks.
- Upgrade the system for the safety removal of excess water from major and medium irrigation tanks.
- Improve the Thona networking system.
- Desiltation of lagoon
- Establish plant nursery
- Establish solid waste management system
- Reforestation & avenue planting
- Protection of wet land & Batticaloa lagoon
- Survey and demarcation of natural and manmade forest. (Erection of concrete posts around the forest boundaries)
5.3 Coastal Conservation
- To improve quality and status of coastal environment
- To develop and manage the coastal zone
- To improve the living standards of coastal communities and resources users
- To promote and facilitate economic development based upon coastal resources
5.4 Waste Management
- Proper dumping place to dump the solid wastes.
- Increase the machineries and technical capacity for the solid waste collection.
- Public to be aware about home compose making system.
6. GOVERNANCE & SERVICE DELIVERY
6.1 Local Government
- Proper Information Technology system in the Local Government
- Efficient revenue collection activities and very high arrears of the revenue.
- Financial and technical support for physical development activities.
6.2 Co-operative Development
- Provision of necessary assistance to improve the paddy purchasing.