Strengthening the Divisional administration,get corporation of all sectors to implement government policies,maximize the use of resources in proper development process to provide maximum welfare to people
The District of Batticaloa takes its name from the Principal town of the same name, which was originally known as Batticaloa or Puliyanduwa. The name Batticaloa or Maticaloa is derived from “Madu Kalappu” Which Signifies “Muddy Swamp”. The district extends for a distance of 130Km along the east cost of the Island, from Periya Kallar in the south to the Verugal aaru in the North.
Dr.C.A.Kricken beck, Colonial Surgeon has an interesting note on Batticaloa, Which is worth quoting. The Island of Batticaloa he says “Called” Puliyantivu – Tamarind Island Situated in the middle of the Lake about four miles from where it opens in to the Sea, has been called with propriety. A narrow start separates it on the west and south from mainland and from another Island Called “Batticaloa Island” Friesland are the most important and the Largest in the District. It is immense tract of paddy field, about ten miles in circumstance and only a few feet above the level of the lake by which it is sour rounded.
There are in addition, Several small island of no great importance, one is called Bone Island from the circumstance that an Asst. Govt. Agent Mr.Bone built a small bungalow upon it. Strange musical sounds are Supposed to be heard issuing from the bottom of the lake a several places, both above and below ferry opposite the old Dutch fort.
The musical Sounds are heard at night and most distinctly when the moon is nearest the fall and when there is not much wind. About the eight century Arab traders came and settled in the district and founded the Muham maden community. Batticaloa was taken by the Portuguese in 1622 and retained till 1639, when the Dutch made themselves masters of the place. The first visit of the Dutch was in 1602 and the second in 1603. The Dutch Admiral Spilbergan entered the river of Batticaloa on May 29,1603.
In may 1870, Batticaloa was made the head quarters of the Government Agent and Trincomalee was made in turn the Asst. Agency.
The first Government Agent was R.W.T.Morris.
Source : Manograph of the Batticaloa District.
1921: S.O.kanaharetnam, Chief Mudaliyar.